Chapel of Our Lady of Grünenwald
The Chapel of Our Lady of Grünenwald stands on the wooded ridge that separates the valley of the largue from that of the suarcine. The latter is at the same time the border between the departments of Haut-Rhin and the Territoire de Belfort and the old linguistic border between the zones of “speaking” German-speaking and Romance. During the week, this place perched in height is calm, and one can rest there in the shade of the lime trees.
If the chapel undoubtedly dates from the 2nd half of the 15th century, the crowned Virgin, holding the infant Jesus, cannot be dated with precision. An ancient legend surrounds the Madonna preserved in the small pilgrimage chapel.
Children reportedly found the statue in the undergrowth. They would have entrusted it to the Commander of the Order of the Knights of St John of Jerusalem, at the Frankish Court of Friesen. The latter would then have built a first chapel on the site. In 1530 these Hospitallers took the name of the Order of Malta.
The chapel is open every day from 9 a.m. to 17 p.m.
- By a small asphalt road
- Religious site
- catholic site
- Free private parking for cars