Small city nestled at the foot of its castle, the city of the powerful Counts of Ferrette is nestled in the first foothills of the Alsatian Jura ... This city with a prestigious past will charm you with its narrow and romantic paths that lead to the haughty ruins of the castle of Ferrette and the mysterious Cave of the Dwarves where a famous legend is told.
Everything in this city refers to the history of the Counts of Ferrette who founded the most powerful of the seigneuries reigning in an almost sovereign state for almost two centuries in the Middle Ages. Today, Prince Albert II of Monaco still bears the title of Count of Ferrette due to the marriage of his ancestor Grimaldi in 1777 with the heiress of the Mazarins.
Come and discover this charming little town, his castle, its listed church and town hall, its Tourist Office, its many hiking trails without forgetting its Dwarven Cave hidden at the foot of an impressive limestone gorge.
To do :
- Ferrette, the castle and the Cave of the Dwarfs : 4,5 km / 2 hours. Topoguide to download here
- Discovery tour of the old town and the castle : allow 1 to 30 hours and bring good shoes.
- Castle visit: 45 / 60min. Pedestrian access 15 min from the parking lot of the Tourist Office. To be well fitted. Walking guide to discover the castles from the Alsatian Jura: 3 €
- Guided tour of the city and the castle, every Thursday at 16 p.m. in summer, from July 16 to August 6, 2020.
- Access to the Rossberg Panoramic Tower : 30/45 min round trip from the parking lot of the Ferrette motorhome area. Possibility of making a larger loop from Ferrette or Vieux Ferrette.
- For families, a fun ride is offered via the "Track and Treasure" application on a smartphone.