A small town nestled at the foot of its castle, the town of the powerful counts of Ferrette is nestled on the first foothills of the Alsatian Jura ... This town with a prestigious past will charm you with its narrow and romantic paths which lead to the haughty ruins of the Ferrette castle and the mysterious Dwarf Cave where a famous legend is told.
Everything in this city refers to the history of the Counts of Ferrette who founded the most powerful of the seigneuries reigning in a quasi-sovereign state for nearly two centuries in the Middle Ages. Today, Prince Albert II of Monaco still bears the title of Count of Ferrette due to the marriage of his ancestor Grimaldi in 1777 with the heiress of the Mazarin family.
Come and discover this charming little town, his castle, its listed church and town hall, its Tourist Office, its many hiking trails without forgetting its Dwarven Cave hidden at the foot of an impressive limestone gorge.
To do :
- Ferrette walking tour, the castle and the Cave of the Dwarfs : 4,5 km / 2 hours. Topoguide to download here
- Discovery tour of the old town and the castle : count 1:30 to 2 hours and plan to wear good shoes.
- Visit of the castle: 45 / 60min. Pedestrian access 15 min from the parking lot of the Tourist Office. To be well shod. Walking guide to discover the castles from the Alsatian Jura: € 3
- Guided tour of the town and the castle, every Thursday at 16 p.m. in summer, from July 16 to August 6, 2020.
- Access to the Rossberg panoramic tower : 30/45 min round trip from the parking lot of the Ferrette motorhome area. Possibility of making a larger loop from Ferrette or Vieux Ferrette.