The heritage house and the Jewish cemetery
Durmenach was an important Jewish agglomeration in the XNUMXth century. Most of the houses in the center were built by Jewish families between the XNUMXth and XNUMXth centuries.
In 1784, the Jewish population represented more than 54% of the population of the village. But the anti-Jewish riots of 1848, where 75 houses were set on fire, led to his exodus.
After the last war, only fifteen Jews returned to Durmenach. As is often the case in Alsace, the survivors of the Shoah found a devastated synagogue.
The Jewish community would disappear entirely because of the rural exodus. The Israelite consistory of Haut-Rhin sold the synagogue in 1959 to the Saint-Georges home association, which was inaugurated in 1964. The building was destroyed by fire in 1983.
At the present time, all that remains in the village landscape is the cemetery with more than XNUMX graves at the end of the rue de la Gendarmerie, and some traces of the old synagogue with three walls and a door and the rue de the synagogue to also commemorate this ancient Jewish community.
- Museum and planetarium
- Religious site
- israelite site